Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Endless Winter



As February draws to a truncated close, temperatures drop and the final days of January begin. I rotate my coat rack so the denim and fleece move toward the back, wrap a scarf around my neck and zip the double layers of my ski-coat. The night to make my resolutions is around the corner. I assess my level of success and disappointment and promise to avoid the same mistakes next year. 

Beyond that proclamation of a better year lies Christmas.  Snowflake and tinsel decor frame the doorways of my favorite bookstores, unavoidable holiday tunes dance a fine line of entertaining and depressing.  I gift my loved ones inexpensive sentiments of presents. Symbols of love or friendship or co-workerness. Soon after, when I shop for those trinkets of my affection, I find some joy in finding just the right gifts.  I stress about my limited funds and do endless math to figure out where my money goes. I decide to start saving more aggressively after the holidays. 

When Thanksgiving comes around, I savor the extra days off work, but find myself bored with all the free time – so accustomed to my jam-packed days. I take Metra home to the suburbs, but forget the pie I won at pub trivia in my refrigerator. I prepare to be challenged by my brother.   

On the Metra back home on Sunday night, my bags full of clean laundry and leftovers, I plan for a vast array of Halloween costumes that I won’t wear because Halloween will fall on a weekday, and I just go to work as usual, but I wear socks with black cats and buy some candy for my team. That night, I try to find something Halloween themed on TV, and feel shock and surprise that tomorrow is already November 1st

I wonder what happened to summer and why I feel like its been winter forever already.

No comments: